Gateshead
Co-operative Stores




Title:  Blaydon Co-operative, Church Street

Photographer:  T. Ridley & Sons
Date:  Date Unknown
Reference Number:  GL001026

Blaydon Co-operative Society first commenced in 1858 with 38 members. The first store, which stood in Cuthbert St was 2nd in Co-operative Union in the country. The ethic of the Cooperative Societies was to trade by a few basic simple rules for the benefit of members. Every member must buy shares (often one shilling each), be issued with a share Number. All goods would be retailed at a fair market price, and profits returned to the society for expansion, and to members in dividend related to the amount purchased, so much in the pound, say 2s. Each society formed would have its own trading name, its own shop premises to be called a 'store', and elected committees to manage it all.

******



Title:  Co-operative Store, Durham Road, Birtley

Date:  C.1900
Reference Number:  GL000618

As supermarket chains have extended, the Co-operative societies have become less important, but once the Co-op was the most important store in every Northern village and town. Those using the stores became members of the society, and these members were paid a dividend. Even now most older women will remember either their own or their mother's dividend number, as it was important to give this to staff on every visit to the store. 

The Birtley Co-operative Society began 1861, and had premises first in Mount Pleasant, then in Durham Road, then from 1885 in large premises at Harras Bank. There was a disastrous fire at this store on Christmas morning 1900, and the store eventually re-opened in new permanent premises on Durham Road.


A current pic of former Birtley Co-op Building

__________________________________________________


Advertisement



____________________________________________________





Title:  Former Windy Nook Co-op branch store, Thomas Street, Eighton Banks

Photographer:  Hudson, Gordon
Date:  1974
Reference Number:  GL000586





Title:  Gateshead Carnival, Co-operative Store, Jackson Street, 1926?

Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  1926?
Reference Number:  GL004304

Item Description:  This photograph shows the Co-operative store on Jackson Street. The ethic of the Cooperative Societies was to trade by a few basic simple rules for the benefit of members. Every member must buy shares (often one shilling each) and be issued with a share number. All goods would be retailed at a fair market price, and profits returned to the society for expansion, and to members in dividend related to the amount purchased, so much in the pound, say 2s. Each society formed would have its own trading name, its own shop premises to be called a 'store', and elected committees to manage it all.

******




Title:  Co-operative Store, Jackson Street, 1962

Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  December 1962
Reference Number:  GL001591
Item Description:  Until the late seventeenth century, this street was known as Colliers Chare. It was possibly named after Henry Jackson, estate steward to the Gerard family.
This photograph shows the Co-operative store on Jackson Street.







Title:  Co-operative Football Team, Wrekenton, c 1912
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  1912
Reference Number:  GL001790


Stores Corner, Bill Quay


                                                                Co-op Grocery Store, Wrekenton, 1911

                                                                           Reference No: GL009588
                                                                             Workers standing outside of Co-op                                                                                   Grocery Store Wrekenton













Low Fell Co-op





Blaydon Co-op..Spen Branch




Crawcrook Co-op


Felling Co-op


Barmoor Co-op, a branch of Blaydon & District Industrial & Provident Co-operative Society


Greenside Co-op (West Wylam & Prudhoe Society)

Chopwell Co-op

Gateshead Co-operative Stores brought to you by


                      The Felling Heritage Group