Coatsworth Road, Gateshead

 Coatsworth Road was formerly known as Union Lane. It is named (but mis-spelt) after William Cotesworth – eighteenth century Lord of the Manor of Gateshead. He lived in Park House which was rebuilt in 1719-20 by Cotesworth and later in 1728-30 by the Ellison family. This once fine house still stood in the 1980's but formed part of the Clarke, Chapman-John Thompson Engineering Works. Windmill Hills, at the north end of this street is named for windmills, being on a hill to catch sufficient wind to turn the sails. There were about ten mills which covered a much larger area than today, stretching over to the 'stony flatt', the flat brow of the hill which is now Coatsworth Road.



Compared to Central Gateshead this part of town was once quite posh. It is now part of Gateshead favoured by the Jewish Community


Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  Date Unknown
Reference Number:  GL001582

Advertisement





12-36 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Manders, Frank
Date:  21/12/1970
Reference Number:  GL002853

Then


201-209 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Gale
Date:  C.1900
Reference Number:  GL002846
Posh houses

Now

201-209 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Jon Bratton
Date:  24/02/2015
Reference Number:  JB1
Less posh shops


Then


201-209 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Gale
Date:  C.1900
Reference Number:  GL002852

Now


201-209 Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Jon Bratton
Date:  24/02/2015
Reference Number:  JB2


Bushell's Fruiterers, Coatsworth Road, 1971
Photographer:  Gateshead Post
Date:  10/09/1971
Reference Number:  GL008912


Coatsworth Road 1991
Photographer:  Ermel, Trevor J.
Date:  14/04/1991
Reference Number:  LS000014


Coatsworth Road Branch of Shephard's Shoe Shop
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  Unknown
Reference Number:  SNO00085
  Shephard's Shoe shop on Coatsworth Road was one of a chain of several stores throughout the North East of England owned by Emerson Shephard. Shephard began in his business in Gateshead opening a small shop in Swinburn Street in 1906 and later transferred to West Street. In 1908 Shephard opened his first branch in Dunston and a year later opened a second in Whitley Bay.
Between 1909 and 1924 Shephard opened further stores in Ashington, Felling, Coatsworth Road, Birtley and Hebburn. In 1934 the final extension was added to the headquarters in West Street and Ellison Street which gave the store a total floor area of approximately 100,000 sq ft.


Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  Date Unknown
Reference Number:  GL002843


Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  Date Unknown
Reference Number:  GL001547


Coatsworth Road, Gateshead
Photographer:  Unknown
Date:  Date Unknown
Reference Number:  GL001542
From left: United Church, Beaconsfield Hall/House, Hylton House, Diamond Jubilee Club.



Coatsworth Road Old Photos brought to you by




The Felling Heritage Group